#1 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:58 AM

In a Summoner, Gauss in side torso.

I died with one side torso intact (CT gone) but I died from gauss explosion.

So the gauss explosion dmg transfered to my CT.

I did searching and found many conflicting answers. Either CASE stops all dmg except 1 ton worth of ammo (or all gauss dmg) or it just allows gauss dmg to pass (assuming it wasn't a bug).

Would like some clarification on this if possible.

P.S> If CASE allows 1 ton of ammo dmg to pass, it's completely useless and should be changed.

#2 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:02 AM

CASE should never allow any damage due to ammo/weapon explosions to transfer to other components; only external damage transfers. Could be a bug because if one side torso is intact you cannot have died from a weapon explosion. Gauss ammo can be destroyed but is inert. Is it possible you got hit in the CT as well, killing you, and that the summary is merely mistaken?

When carrying a Gauss in the torso of an IS mech taking CASE is strongly recommended because it prevents exactly what happened to you (but should not have).

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 12 March 2015 - 06:06 AM.

#3 FrDrake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:07 AM

Who wants to bet with me that when they coded Gauss explosion to say "weapon explosion" they changed its damage type somewhere, and CASE is no longer is impacted by it because it prevents ammo explosion transfer? Simple coding mistake, but about par the course for what we've seen so far.

#4 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:10 AM

I've been having this happen in my Hellbringer as well, Gauss explosion in that side torso, and my CT goes BOOM!

So definitely some transfer going on.

#5 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

I guess the text could have been wrong, or it logged the gauss exploding last even tho it wasn't. I was being focused by multiple mechs so many hits, tho only my arm, side and CT were gone, with everywhere else in pretty good shape.

#6 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

Gotta be someone that knows the answer. ...

#7 IronLichRich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

View PostMister D, on 12 March 2015 - 06:10 AM, said:

I've been having this happen in my Hellbringer as well, Gauss explosion in that side torso, and my CT goes BOOM!

Just happened to me in my whale the other day. May have been a glitch since my ct was also about to pop from a laser anyway

#8 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:46 PM

View PostBobzilla, on 12 March 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

Gotta be someone that knows the answer. ...

CASE is supposed to stop all damage transfer. The ST will be destroyed(if it runs out of hitpoints) but the CT should be unaffected.

Changing the text could possibly have accidently removed Gauss from the damage transfer. I'll test with a Dual Gauss Nova. Result....was the Arty destroying both legs, both arms and the cockpit.
Posted Image

Let's try a single Gauss, with armour.

Testing....has proven it's borked.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ammo explosion damage transferring through the CASEd arm. Still armoured all over that ST.

Perhaps we should submit a bug report.

#9 FrDrake

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:48 PM

Someone tweet Russ and point to this thread please so he will see it.

#10 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:04 PM

View PostMister D, on 12 March 2015 - 06:10 AM, said:

Happens every time i get hit in the gauss with the HBR....they messed something up. Or changed something and told no one.

#11 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:19 PM

It might be a unknown bug in the clan mechs. You can as far as I know C.A.S.E the Gauss rifle with IS mechs.

With clan mechs you get C.A.S.E for free. Now C.A.S.E contains the gauss rifle explosion to one section of the mech. The only reason it would transfer is if you didn't have any Armor or internal structure left in the LT, by default it transfers to the CT.

I not 100% sure how the mechanic is working now. The Gauss ammo might be blowing up as well who knows.

Since the Gauss Rifle fires solid metal slugs, with neither propellant nor explosive, Gauss Rifle magazines are not susceptible to ammunition explosions. However, if the weapon itself is struck by enemy fire, the capacitors that power the electromagnets will release their stored energy, with an effect similar to an ammo explosion. (In game terms, a critical hit on a Gauss Rifle is equivalent to a 20-point ammo explosion.) Some 'Mechs employ CASE in the section containing the Gauss Rifle to protect internal components in the event the weapon explodes.

Edited by Corbon Zackery, 12 March 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#12 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

It's not a bug, you have no CASE to stop the damage caused by the gauss rifle itself exploding, the weapon doesn't come with CASE. Simple fix is to put half a ton of AMS ammo in with the gauss weapon itself, no more sudden death because a gauss rifle in your side torso got hit and blew up, which it will ALWAYS do. Clans don't get to just PUT CASE somewhere, it's built into the ammo bins, except of course for gauss ammo, which doesn't explode and gauss rifles are only supposed to have a slight chance of exploding if damage, not the 90% chance that MWO has, so there's no CASE included with them either.

This has been this way all along folks, Atlases, Catapult K2s, any Mech that put a gauss in the side torso, no CASE, you are dead once that gauss rifle gets hit. Dire's have the same problem and have since they were put in, I learned quickly to put 1/2 ton of AMS ammo where ever I have a gauss rifle on my Clan Mechs.

#13 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:25 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 12 March 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

It's not a bug, you have no CASE to stop the damage caused by the gauss rifle itself exploding, the weapon doesn't come with CASE. Simple fix is to put half a ton of AMS ammo in with the gauss weapon itself, no more sudden death because a gauss rifle in your side torso got hit and blew up, which it will ALWAYS do. Clans don't get to just PUT CASE somewhere, it's built into the ammo bins, except of course for gauss ammo, which doesn't explode and gauss rifles are only supposed to have a slight chance of exploding if damage, not the 90% chance that MWO has, so there's no CASE included with them either.

This has been this way all along folks, Atlases, Catapult K2s, any Mech that put a gauss in the side torso, no CASE, you are dead once that gauss rifle gets hit. Dire's have the same problem and have since they were put in, I learned quickly to put 1/2 ton of AMS ammo where ever I have a gauss rifle on my Clan Mechs.

This....is so wrong....

Also, AMS ammo explodes for more than the Gauss rifle. A full 2k rounds will deal 48 damage.

CASE isn't tied to ammo bins, it's tied to the component. Arms, Legs and STs are all CASE protected, whether you have ammo mounted or not.

It's broken for Gauss rifles presently, but was working prior to the last patch.

#14 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 12 March 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

This....is so wrong....

Also, AMS ammo explodes for more than the Gauss rifle. A full 2k rounds will deal 48 damage.

CASE isn't tied to ammo bins, it's tied to the component. Arms, Legs and STs are all CASE protected, whether you have ammo mounted or not.

It's broken for Gauss rifles presently, but was working prior to the last patch.

IS CASE requires a crit and 0.5 tons, Clan CASE requires no crits and weighs nothing, but both run 50k cbills in TT. MWO, Clan Mechs get CASE for free in any location that explosive ammo is placed, and that's it. You can't physically PLACE it on the Mech as you have to do in TT, it's a gimme, and it's only included if there's explosive ammo, otherwise, no CASE because it's not needed.

It was NOT broken last patch, it's always worked this way, I've mentioned it before in other posts since we've gotten the Clans, put Gauss in each arm of my Dire, one gets hit, I lose the entire side of the Mech. I noticed this rather quickly, also noticed that it did NOT happen on the side where I had LRM ammo tucked into the arm, just lost the arm when the Gauss got hit, and yes, it was the Gauss getting hit, not the LRM ammo, it had all been used up already.

#15 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 12 March 2015 - 03:50 PM, said:

IS CASE requires a crit and 0.5 tons, Clan CASE requires no crits and weighs nothing, but both run 50k cbills in TT. MWO, Clan Mechs get CASE for free in any location that explosive ammo is placed, and that's it. You can't physically PLACE it on the Mech as you have to do in TT, it's a gimme, and it's only included if there's explosive ammo, otherwise, no CASE because it's not needed.

It was NOT broken last patch, it's always worked this way, I've mentioned it before in other posts since we've gotten the Clans, put Gauss in each arm of my Dire, one gets hit, I lose the entire side of the Mech. I noticed this rather quickly, also noticed that it did NOT happen on the side where I had LRM ammo tucked into the arm, just lost the arm when the Gauss got hit, and yes, it was the Gauss getting hit, not the LRM ammo, it had all been used up already.

What you're describing simply isn't how CASE works in MWO; or at least how it worked until last patch. The ST Gauss on my Timby never spread to the CT, because CASE was working properly. It broke when they switched the "Ammo Explosion" to "Weapon Explosion" message.

You're saying you're supposed to crit pad with EXPLOSIVE AMMO! That's not how it works...

It is placed automatically. You DO NOT NEED TO PLACE EXPLOSIVE AMMO to get CASE.

I hope the caps made that clearer, you're spreading mis-information.

#16 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,765 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:37 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 12 March 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

Ammo explosion damage transferring through the CASEd arm. Still armoured all over that ST.

When they say clan mechs have CASE for free, they mean only in the side torsos. CASE never prevented any damage transfer but from that side torso to the CT. If your arm or leg blew, all that damage transferred over to the torso until it hit the CT (provided you have CASE).

CASE II is the only protection you can ever get for protecting your side torsos from an explosion in the arm or leg.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 12 March 2015 - 04:39 PM.

#17 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:43 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 12 March 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

When they say clan mechs have CASE for free, they mean only in the side torsos. CASE never prevented any damage transfer but from that side torso to the CT. If your arm or leg blew, all that damage transferred over to the torso until it hit the CT (provided you have CASE).

CASE II is the only protection you can ever get for protecting your side torsos from an explosion in the arm or leg.

Bruh...

Posted Image

#18 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 12 March 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

Bruh...

Im talking about TT, Clan CASE only prevented damage overflow from the Side Torso -> Center Torso.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 12 March 2015 - 05:06 PM.

#19 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

Clan CASE is everywhere (although least useful for the head or CT for obvious reasons).

IS CASE is limited to the side torsos.

Welcome to the world of Clan benefits.

Some of us has asked for better/reworked IS CASE, but that's apparently never going to happen.

#20 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:13 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 12 March 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

Clan CASE is everywhere (although least useful for the head or CT for obvious reasons).

IS CASE is limited to the side torsos.

Welcome to the world of Clan benefits.

Some of us has asked for better/reworked IS CASE, but that's apparently never going to happen.

Clan CASE may be everywhere, but it never had any effect until side torsos had left over damage. Much like the Ferro Fibrous misconception about actually giving you damage reduction, it is badly worded how it actually functions.

At least Im pretty sure, need to load up a game of Megamek to double check.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 12 March 2015 - 05:14 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users